Saturday, March 19, 2011

the odyssey...of the mind

Odyssey...
[od-uh-see] 
–noun, plural -seys for 2.
1) an epic poem attributed to Homer, describing Odysseus's adventures in his ten-year attempt to return home to Ithaca after the Trojan War.
2) a long series of wanderings or adventures, especially when filled with notable experiences, hardships, etc.
 
It feels as if I may currently be living out Homer's epic poem--but alas no...I've simply been making a dream of my 10 year old a possibility.  Early in this school year I began on a series of wanderings (i guess you could call them adventures) with a group of 4th and 5th graders. We have definitely had some notable experiences...as well as a few hardships.  And I don't think I would trade a minute of it!  Because I have had the enormous undertaking honor and privilege of coaching an Odyssey of the Mind team. 
 
Oh sure!  I have wanted to run away on more than one occasion.  I have wanted to scream...in fact I am sure I have.  More than once.  I have had to bite my tongue.  I have cried.  I my heart has swelled with pride.  I have missed more than a few hours of sleep.  I have thought and rethought.  I have had to (emotionally) prepare and repair. 
 
It has been the single greatest thing I think I've ever been involved in.  Honestly. No joke.
 
Why would I voluntarily give up sleep?  Why would I give up a day off from work to coach 6 children--ages 9 & 10 year?  Anyone that knows me knows that I value sleep.  It is more valuable than diamonds or gold (and these days gasoline).  Anyone that has spent more than 15 minutes with me knows that I don't particularly like 4th and 5th grade children.  I would offer Exhibit A--"the Sunday School fiasco of 2002" as evidence. 
 
Here's my motivation.  It's pretty simple.  I have seen a tremendous change in these kids.  I don't just mean my child.  They have all changed.  They are confident.  They are creative beyond imagination!  They impress me every single time I am around them--in some way or another.  They are becoming more polished (refined and cultured) by this process.  I am becoming more polished by this process.  I will never be "polished" as in "refined and cultured" but I am being made "smooth."  Once again I find that my rough edges are being worn away.  I am having to bend...and in my willingness to bend, I am finding my passion.  Once again I am able to see people (not just people--but 4th and 5th graders) heart to heart.
 
This little adventure I've been on is a good thing.  In a lot of ways every way.  
 
There I said it!   

No comments:

Post a Comment